Kick-off new round Prix de Rome Visual Arts
The new round of the Prix de Rome Visual Arts just started. The Prix de Rome is awarded once every two years to a talented visual artist under the age of forty. A group of scouts from a wide range of backgrounds is invited to propose a maximum of two candidates to the jury of the Prix de Rome. In addition, artists who meet the set conditions can be proposed as candidate for the prize by third parties or by themselves.
Proposing an artist or sign up yourself
Visual artist who meet the formal conditions can sign up until 21 February 2019. Please check if you meet the formal conditions. Do not hesitate to contact us via prixderome[at]mondriaanfonds.nl if you have any doubts about your eligibility.
You can participate by sending us until 21 Feb (inclusive) one pdf with the following documents, written in English:
1) 1 page with a compact CV including date of birth, place of birth/nationality, education data, place of residence, your dates of employment as a visual artist and, if available, the url of your website;
2) 1 page with artist statement, artistic/intellectual principles of your work;
3) a digital portfolio of recent work (max 10 pages). Please mention title, year, material, sizes and if necessary additional information of every work. Arrange the images in a chronological order from past to present. If necessary you can send any audio or video fragments seperately via wetransfer. The total size and duration of the presentation (images and separate video or audio fragments) should not exceed 300 MB and 15 minutes duration. Please, only use the following file formats: *.m4v, *.mp3, *.mov, *.flv, *jpg, *giv, *png, *tiff, *pdf, *.avi, *.mpg, *.mp4, *.mkv.
4) 1 page with a global working plan in which you describe the work you would like to make for the exhibition at Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam in case you will be shortlisted.
Please number and save these 4 documents in 1 pdf in the above mentioned order. Please save the document as follows: surname_first name.pdf
Recommendations by third parties can be done until the 31st of January by sending in a short (!) motivation in English and the following data: date of birth, contact details and place of residency and work at prixderome[at]mondriaanfonds.nl.
The Mondriaan Fund will subsequently check if the artist meets the formal conditions and if applicable ask to submit the information as mentioned above.
For all participating artists: send the pdf with above mentioned documents via WeTransfer at prixderome[at]mondriaanfonds.nl. The ultimate deadline is 21 February 2019.
The proposed artist has to meet the following conditions:
– not older than forty at the time the winner of the prize is announced (november 2019);
– not attending an art academy or post-graduate degree programme (with the exception of post-academic education);
– must have been working as a professional artist for at least one year;
– the nominee must be substantively active and integrated in the Netherlands’ professional visual arts field;
In the case of a creative partnership, all members need to satisfy all of the above requirements.
An international jury will shortlist four nominees from the proposed artists. All candidates will subsequently be judged by the panel on the basis of the information which is submitted by the artist in the pdf. The information will be judged on the quality of the oeuvre so far. Is the work of the artist important for the contemporary visual arts in the Netherlands? Is the work a promise for the future? Important criteria are expressiveness, originality, the interrelation of the candidate’s artistic points of departure and how these principles are reflected in his or her work. Also the intrinsic quality and the feasibility of the proposed workplan will be judged. When an artist is recommended by a scout or third party the motivation letter will be read by the jury. This recommendation is only taking into account at the background.
The shortlist will be announced mid April 2019. The working period for shortlisted artists will be from May until September 2019. Shortlisted artists will receive a working budget during this working period. From 19 October 2019 until 22 March 202 the results will be exhibited at het Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam. Based on the new work, the jury will announce the winner in November 2019.
The winner is presented with a EUR 40,000 cash prize and a three months work period at the American Academy in Rome.
Kick-off new round Prix de Rome Visual Arts